Each plant species is divided into many different strains and variations. These types, living in different environments, develop new characteristics. Cannabis is no exception.
Indica and Sativa are two popular types of cannabis. Hybrid is a variation of cannabis, a cross between Indica and Sativa. So, what’s the difference between Indica vs Sativa vs Hybrid?
This article will dive into a comparison of the main characteristics of these three popular cannabis strains. Follow our sharing in this article!
Morphology Of Indica Strains
Indica grows in mountainous areas with cold, harsh climates. North India, Afghanistan, and Pakistan are the homelands of Indica.
Due to growing in harsh conditions, the tree has a low shape, dense foliage. Indica usually doesn’t grow more than 6 feet tall.
In addition, Indica has a short growth cycle. This type of cannabis will quickly bloom during the short summer before the cold winter arrives. Therefore, the Indica strain is one of the most suitable strains to grow.
Indica has a higher percentage of CDB. This CBD content provides a powerful relaxing effect.
Indica can reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety. When using Indica, you may also experience cravings and sleep more deeply.
Due to its good sedative properties, Indica is suitable for use at night.
The three popular Indica strains are Granddaddy Purple, Afghan Kush, Hindu Kush.
Morphology Of Sativa Strains
Sativa occurs in tropical regions such as Africa, Central America, and Southeast Asia. Due to living in a year-round sunny environment, Sativa is quite tall with a trunk of more than 12 feet.
The THC content in Sativa is quite high. Therefore, in addition to its ability to reduce stress, Sativa stimulates Endorphins in the brain, producing a feeling of euphoria. When using Sativa, you will always be in a state of energy and relaxation.
Due to its ability to stimulate the mind, you should use Sativa during the day.
Some popular Sativa strains are Durban Poison, Panama Red, Ghost Train Haze, Acapulco Gold.
Morphology Of Hybrid Strains
Hybrid is the result of an artificial cross between Indica and Sativa. The appearance and the CBD to THC ratio of the plant depend on the purpose of the breeding.
There are three classifications of Hybrids: Sativa-dominant, Indica-dominant and balanced.
The dominant Sativa type gives a strong feeling of euphoria but still effectively helps to relax. Some familiar names are Sour Diesel, Juicy Fruit, Headband.
Meanwhile, Indica excels in soothing aches and pains, and anxiety disorders. Some popular Indica dominant strains are Girl Scout Cookies, Purple Urkle, Aurora Temple.
The balanced type will have an equal Indica – Sativa ratio. Therefore, this cultivar has the best characteristics of both species. Super Silver Haze, White Widow, Blue Dream, Purple Diesel are a few popular Balanced Hybrid strains.
Effects Commonly Associated With Indica Strains
- Relaxing: Indica has a higher concentration of CBD than THC, helping both your mind and body relax.
- Sedating: Indica has a marked effect in reducing the symptoms of insomnia.
- Pain-relieving: The THC found in Indica stimulates the brain’s cannabinoid receptors, causing pain levels to drop significantly. Therefore, Indica is one of the best strains for chronic pain relief.
- Appetite-inducing: In addition to reducing pain, THC also stimulates the appetite of users.
- Nausea-soothing: Indica is one of the best cannabis strains to relieve nausea.
- Insomnia: According to a 2008 study, cannabis strains with high THC concentrations like Indica help users fall asleep more easily and deeply.
- Sclerosis: Cannabinoid receptors are effective in alleviating symptoms of multiple sclerosis. Meanwhile, the THC found in Indica does a great job of stimulating the cannabinoid receptors in the brain.
Effects Commonly Associated With Sativa Strains
- Energizing: When using Sativa, you will quickly feel energized, significantly improving creativity and productivity.
- Uplifting: Sativa contains high concentrations of Limonene. Thanks to that, Sativa can raise the morale of the user.
- Increased creativity: For those looking for artistic inspiration, Sativa is an effective support medicine.
- Mind-expanding: Sativa helps you be more creative, which means your thoughts are unlimited.
- Sharper focus: Sativa helps users focus more and work more efficiently.
- Depression: Sativa gives a feeling of high euphoria. Therefore, feelings of depression can be reversed when using Sativa.
- Anxiety: Feelings of anxiety will soon go away. Instead, it is the vitality that Sativa brings.
- ADHD: As mentioned, Sativa affects the brain, improving the ability to focus. Therefore, it can be used to support the treatment of symptoms of ADHD.
- Stimulating: Excitement is a distinct feeling when using Sativa.
Effects Commonly Associated With Hybrid Strains
With the Hybrid, you get all the advantages of the Indica and Sativa strains. The common effects of Hybrid are happiness, energy, euphoria.
Depending on Indica-dominant or Sativa-dominant, you can see the effects of cannabis more clearly. With Sativa dominant, for example, you’ll feel more euphoric than usual.
Potential Side Effects And Risks
The THC concentration found in cannabis is responsible for most of the side effects. Therefore, when using either Indica or Sativa, you may also experience some general side effects such as dry mouth, dizziness, increased heart rate, decreased blood pressure.
Regarding the individual side effects of each type, you need to be aware of some potential dangers such as:
- Indica: Tired limbs, users easily develop anxiety, even paranoia if THC in the plant is in high doses.
- Sativa: Causes insomnia, and even paranoia. In addition, there are some milder symptoms such as dizziness, and anxiety.
- Hybrid: Includes most of the side effects above but to a lesser extent.
In addition to THC, the method of use is also the cause of some unwanted effects when using marijuana.
For example, smoking one of the three above can irritate your airways. You can avoid this unwanted effect by using oral cannabis preparations.
Popular Cannabis Strains For Certain Conditions
- Indica: Suitable when you are experiencing symptoms such as anxiety, insomnia, chronic pain.
- Sativa: Suitable to relieve symptoms such as depression, fatigue, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
- Hybrid: Suitable for the relief of specific symptoms. For example, if you want to reduce anxiety, Hybrid Indica excels is the best choice.
Acapulco Gold Sativa
Fatigue, stress, nausea, pain
Pain, cramps, inflammation, insomnia, mental fog, PTSD
Chronic pain, muscle spasms, insomnia
Fatigue, stress, acute pain, mental fog, anxiety, PTSD
Insomnia, acute pain, nausea, low appetite, PTSD
Low appetite, restless leg syndrome, insomnia
Acute pain, insomnia, low appetite
Inflammation, pain, stress
Depression, anxiety, mental fog, low energy
Pain, mood disorders, insomnia, low appetite
Low mood, mental fog, social anxiety
Super Silver Haze
Stress, anxiety, mental fog, low energy
Mental fog, acute pain, social anxiety
Migraine, glaucoma, headaches, low moods
Legality Of Cannabis
Some countries in the world legalize marijuana for both medical and recreational purposes. Uruguay was the first country to legalize cannabis nationally.
There are currently 26 countries in the world that legalize cannabis for at least one personal and medical use.
In the United States, there are 18 states that allow citizens to legally use marijuana for both recreational and medical purposes. However, this permission also includes conditions.
In most states, the requirement is that you are 21 years of age or older and possess no more than 1 time of marijuana.
Some countries have legalized marijuana, some have not. Therefore, to be sure, you should find out the marijuana regulations where you live.
How Should I Choose A Cannabis Strain?
Pay attention to the content of THC, CBD in each type of cannabis because they affect the effectiveness of use.
For example, if you want to increase your mood and focus, a Sativa strain with a high THC ratio is a perfect choice.
However, if you want pain relief, Sativa is not a wise choice. Instead, Indica will bring a noticeable pain-relieving effect.
Marijuana overdose can cause symptoms such as anxiety and paranoia.
If you are using cannabis for the first time, you should avoid strains with high THC content. Instead, strains like Indica are safer.
As your body gets used to marijuana, the effects of marijuana on you will become weaker. Therefore, you should select to use cannabis with high THC content.
A safer, healthier way is to reestablish your tolerance to marijuana. Taking a break from marijuana use for a while to avoid abuse is the best way to use marijuana.
The potency of cannabis depends on the concentration of THC. The most potent strains of popular cannabis typically have THC concentrations of 17%.
However, as mentioned, the higher the THC content, the higher the likelihood of paranoia.
In case you just need comfort and relaxation, there’s no reason to look for powerful cannabis.
You can inhale, smoke, or drink directly to consume marijuana. When choosing a method of cannabis consumption, aside from personal preference, you also need to consider the effects of Indica vs Sativa vs Hybrid.
If you want to relieve muscle soreness, applying high-CBD cannabis products directly through the skin will provide topical effects.
Meanwhile, inhalation will cause THC substances to affect the brain almost immediately. So you will quickly be in an energized state.
Check out this article. If you don’t know:
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best pain reliever?
Indica has the ability to effectively relieve pain due to its high CBD content.
Through a series of animal studies, CBD has been shown to be powerful in reducing the pain of arthritis and injury. This active ingredient is also effective for nerve pain thanks to its ability to inhibit inflammation.
Which type increases dopamine?
Indica has a dopamine-boosting effect.
Dopamine is a substance that regulates happy emotional states in the brain. This is also the reason for the feeling of relaxation and comfort when using Indica.
Which type is most commonly used?
According to several studies in the United States, when comparing Indica vs Sativa vs Hybrid, Indica is the most popular type of cannabis.
Up to 35/50 states love the Indica strain. The 15 states that choose Sativa are mainly distributed in the Southeastern United States.
However, the reality is that after many human hybridization efforts, it is now very difficult to use unmixed Indica and Sativa strains. Therefore, it can be said that the most widely used cannabis is Hybrid.
Should I use Indica, Sativa, Hybrid at night?
If you want to have a good night’s sleep, you can use Indica at night because of its good sedative effect.
With its psychoactive properties, you can use Sativa at night as a way to keep yourself awake.
People’s advice is always emotional. The majority will suit this type of cannabis, but you may not be right for them. It might be hard to determine which strain is right for you if you have never used marijuana before.
However, through this article, you have made comparisons between Indica vs Sativa vs Hybrid. This information will help you soon find the strain that is best for you.